Chicken & White Bean Stew - Better Homes and Gardens
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces (1")
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbs olive oil
2 10-oz pkg refrigerated light Alfredo sauce*
1 15-oz can white kidney beans, rinsed, drained
1 cup reduced-sodium Chicken Broth
1/2 cup chopped red onion (I used a white onion)
1 4-oz can diced green chilies, undrained
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Fresh parsley, or the dried herb for a garnish
*I use a to-die-for homemade Alfredo sauce, if I do say so myself. I substituted this homemade sauce for the 2 pkgs of Alfredo.
1/2 cup butter
8 oz of cream cheese
1 cup half-n-half (do not use fat free!!!! fat free keeps things from mixing into a smooth solution)
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
Pepper to taste
Herbs after if you'd like
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Once butter is almost melted, cut up cream cheese and add it.
- Once butter and cream cheese are mixed well, add the Half-n-half, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and pepper. Stir until well mixed.
- Take off burner once its sauce-like and set aside to let it thicken.
1. Sprinkle chicken with cumin and black pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken, half at a time, in hot oil until brown, or cooked completely. Place chicken in a crock pot.
2. Make Alfredo sauce here if you're using mine, or one of your own!
3. Stir in Alfredo sauce, beans, broth, onion, chili peppers, and garlic.
4. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 4-5 hours or on high heat for 2-2 1/2 hours. If desired, sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese and parsley!
I would consider adding tomatoes, chopped, to the stew at the end of its cooking time - maybe 5 minutes before you're ready to serve. I think they would taste great. If you don't like tomatoes, add some tabasco sauce. Tyler can't live without it.
I hope you like it! Its perfect for the fall! Add "You've Got Mail" to your background music and you've got one perfect fall afternoon ahead of you! Oh, and the Serendipity Soundtrack.