Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stick to the beat

SIMPLE:

Today I discovered how to stick to the beat. It wasn't anything profound, just a little something that I needed to learn.




Tyler and I gave the Sunday School lesson today on Prayer and Faith. This is where most people, once you announce the topic, simply turn off and wait for it to be over. Why, you might ask? Well, probably because its something simple. I've noticed that the simple things are the ones that we struggle with the most. They're usually the ones to drop from our habits, our daily schedule, and eventually, from our conscience. Once its out of your thought pattern, there's no way your actions will convey those simple traits that could make the world better. Funniest thing - the simple things are usually the ones that hold the most important keys to happiness. Isn't that crazy? Think about it for a minute, and I'll come back to that.

Today = day from H.E. double-hockey sticks. Remember the time that I had to play the organ in church? Not a very cool incident. I can do anything in front of lots of people, no problem = sing, talk, entertain; you name it, you got it. When you add an instrument, I panic. My harp recital = almost perfect. Loved it. When you mess up on the harp, not so bad. The organ is louder than the shot heard round the world, because I'm pretty sure the chapel in the hospital is less than 20 square feet. Ok, not that small, but amazingly close. And what happens when the organ is set to transpose the song 3 keys higher? To even reach an A, people are pretending to be eunuchs. Awesome. NOT. After the meeting was over, people said I played great, and they were really impressed that they could sing the base-line. Everyone had a cold, so they attributed not being able to sing the high notes on that. Either way, I walked back to my Aunt, Uncle, and Ty's parents and cursed that organ to hell and oblivion. Whoops. But seriously, its all in the bible-that organ belongs with Cain.

Now back to the rest. Simple things of life. What made my day? Someone's smile, a kind comment, and a laugh with me at how high the organ was set. What could make your day better? Why not being the initiator? Simply extend a hand to help, even if you don't know much. Say something that's simply kind. You'll feel better inevitably - don't you remember that Friend's episode where Joey and Phoebe have a competition to see who can do acts of service without feeling good afterwards? haha Love that one. Why not invite that into your life? It doesn't have to be anything grand; just keep it simple.

My favorite story about how simple being a friend can be:
A little girl was supposed to arrive at home after school, and was a little tardy. Her mom was upset, and questioned the little girl about why she was late. The little girl related the story; her friend had fallen off of her bike and it looked broken. The mother informed the little girl, "You don't know anything about broken bikes!" The daughter replied in all earnesty, "I know. I just stopped to help her cry."

SIMPLE.

2 comments:

Katy said...

I. SIMPLY. LOVE. YOU!

you're hilarious, seriously you crack me up!!! I'm rollin' cuz i totally know what Friend's episode you're talking about!!

and that last little story... too sweet!

Krista, I love you. You're amazing! So don't let that little Devil-Organ get you down... play the CRAP outta it! (((hugs)))

Ashley Webb said...

Krista!
I love reading all your fun stories - you are awesome!!

Here's the recipe for those drinks - they are so easy and really yummy.

1 Can frozen limeade concentrate (you'll find it near the OJ in the store)
1/2 bag of frozen strawberries (more if you want more flavor)
About 16 ice cubes
1/4 C. sugar
1-1/4 C. water

Throw it all in the blender until it's smooth and ENJOY! :)