Friday, February 11, 2011

Orange-Ginger Chicken

Ok, here's the dish that made my Thursday night a complete hit! And, it was completely picture perfect, but I ate it before I remembered to take any pictures... I hate it when that happens!

What You'll Need:
2 tsp Canola Oil - I used Olive Oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 scallions, thinly sliced - keep green and white parts separate * I used green onions
2 tbs grated ginger root (an absolute must)
1 tbs hoisin sauce or soy sauce
2 tbs orange juice concentrate

--I took out 2 frozen, b-s chicken breasts and let them thaw for a few hours before making. This is a time saver extraordinaire!--


-> What you need to know about ginger root:
This is what it looks like. Its sensationally aromatic, and very easy to use - it just looks intimidating. First, start by peeling off a portion of the outer-root. It comes off quickly and easily with the use of a potato-peeler [the same thing you use to peel carrots]. It will be yellow-ish on the inside - grate this! Then, a part of your cheese grater should have slightly smaller holes than what you'd use to grate cheese with; use that one; it has slightly bigger holes than a zester! [If you're like me, its the one you've never used before!] Grate the ginger and enjoy the fresh aroma! Its delish!

Make It 1-2-3!
1. Heat oil in a small, heavy-bottomed skillet over med-high heat. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper (I season one side, put them in the pan, and while one side is cooking, I season the other side so its ready to flip). Brown chicken on both sides, about 3 mins. per side.
2. Add scallion [or green onion] white parts and the ginger. Cook for 1 min, stirring. Add orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, and 1-2 tbs water. Bring to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 3 mins.
3. Remove pan from heat, stir in scallion greens, and serve.

This is wonderful with rice, Noodle Stir Fry [this has noodles + veggies], or broccoli.

Let me know what you guys think of it when you try!!!!! Its my new favorite. Yum! Oh, and don't forget to post pictures!



No comments: