Saturday, April 2, 2011

Conference Cake

My Grandma Sanders invites us all up to her house for the afternoon session of General Conference - but you have to get there at noon to have dinner! Its such a fun gathering, especially for someone like me who grew up without grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles [and no, I'm not capitalizing those correctly - its my week on].

Bummer of a deal - I have to work. Not a huge surprise, but I do get Easter off this year! Here's to 1 holiday off! haha

Anyway, Tyler called my grandma and asked what he could bring to the festival/dinner. He was assigned cake. As its Saturday night, guess who's making the cake?!

MB, I know you love cake, and this one is simple - totally beneath your usual repertoire, but you must try it!

And I give you: the old but new,
Conference Cake

Filling:

  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped pecans - ew. I do not do nuts in cake. bleh. or ice cream. or cookies. -shudder-

Glaze:

  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice

Cake:

  • 1 package golden cake mix
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions

For streusel filling, combine all ingredients and set aside. Blend glaze ingredients and set aside.

For cake:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, water, sugar and flour in a large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes with electric mixer. Pour 1/2 of batter into a greased 13 by 9-inch pan. Sprinkle streusel filling on top and swirl the filing. Spoon remaining batter evenly over filling. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes invert onto serving plate, cool completely.

For glaze:

Combine sugar, milk and lemon juice in bowl. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cake. [hint: if you're not looking for an overly powerful lemon zest flavor, take the lemon juice back a notch to like 2 teaspoons.]

Let it be known that I would rather have pie than cake, but this cake is soooooo good. I lick the cake batter right off of the spatula. oooo my. And, just so you know, this recipe has been on the back of the Duncan Hines box for a million years. Totally comfort cake!

And why, you ask, are there no pictures? 
Because:

1. I'm beat.
2. I'm reading Jane Eyre and I cannot put it down in order to pick up the camera.
3. I'm listening to Adele while singing/washing dishes/getting back to Jane Eyre.
4. Because you should make it yourself and enjoy!

Happy Conference Weekend!

loved the sessions today. 
so fed.
blessed.
inspired.
hope you are too.

2 comments:

mb said...

Oh I can't NOT try it now.

missriss said...

LOVE Jane Eyre. :) (and Conference of course) If only I loved to cook....